Saturday, July 25, 2009

Need some advice

OK so I keep going back and forth trying to decide if I like my blog being private. Yes it adds some security but it really cuts down on how many people look at it. The point of my blog is to share my life with people but if people aren't seeing it then what is the point? So I need your help. Would you check my blog more if it were public? What do you think I should do?

8 comments:

Sarah said...

I've gone back and forth with this same question, and my conclution is that I like comments too much to go private! But I DO have my own 'rules' set into place:
1.I don't call my kids by their actual names. They have cute little nicknames that I made up just for the bloggy world.
2. I don't write important dates, such as full B-Days (with the year).
3. When posting a picture, I censor it to my liking. You never know who is looking at your pictures, and some crazy people get their kicks out of innocent naked baby-buns. So I just don't do it to avoid weird stalkers/gawkers.
Hope this helps!

Tiffany said...

I personally like checking your blog no matter what!

Mary said...

I'd check it just as much if it wre private.

Dani said...

The only reason why I hadn't checked in forever was is I rely on my Goggle Reader but it turns out private blogs can't be accessed through that, so you have to manually click on the persons link. I'm doing better though now that I know. I had a SIL who didn't want to go private but still wanted some security so she changed the settings so you can't find her blog through internet searched (I've done the same) and instead of using her or any of her families names she uses their first letter of their name when she is talking about them. Hope that helps :)

Lacey said...

You are the only blog that I read, so private or not doesn't affect me. I do believe that too much information on a public blog is not a good idea. City, state, neighborhood, names, travel plans etc should not be posted for obvious security reasons. I like Dani's idea of changing settings. I love your new format and photos! MOM

Ruth said...

I know how you feel! My comments have gone way down since I went private! And that makes me a little sad, but the security is worth it to me. You just never know who's out there, and I have just heard about way too much identity theft these days.

The major reason I made mine private was for Marianne. We have some friends with a baby girl, and they recently found out that an illegal immigrant was working under her SSN. They have NO IDEA how someone got a hold of it, but they do have a public blog.

Before I went private, I had the settings set so you couldn't search it on google and stuff, but people can still find it without too much trouble. I think I'm a little paranoid though.

But since I'm private too, I always check my friend's blogs - private or not. :) Hope that helps! Of course it's totally you're decision! :)

J♥M said...

I have all my friends private blogs saved on my favorites page! It's easy! Mine has always been private and I do like comments, but people either do or don't when it comes to leaving them! I know lots of people who peek into the lives of others and have never left a comment on their blog. Feels like spying! I agree we need to be more careful with the information we put out there not only about us, but our family! Crazy things happen!
Private or not... I read your blog!

Mark & Rachel said...

I went back and forth on this too. With Mark being in the Army and gone and facing deployment, I thought long I should go private. THe thing that pushed me over was I put a map on my blog-I dont know anyone in Canada (as well as other places) and they look at my blog daily!!!